CoffeeSock DIY ColdBrew Coffee Kit - 32 oz
Initially, boil new filters in fresh water to clean and shrink for 10 minutes.
- Fit filter over lip of wide mouthed canning jar.
- Add desired amount of coarsely ground coffee. (We recommend 3 ounces by weight (1 cup dry) per 32 ounce serving)
- Wet (bloom) the dry coffee and let set for 30 seconds, allowing the water to fully penetrate the coffee grounds from the center. (This is necessary to maximize flow and to avoid dry pockets, and weak brew)
- Add filtered water in batches or very slowly, to fill.
- Close filter by gathering the top of fabric together, wrapping the strap around the gathered neck of the filter, and pass through the attached ring (see video).
Times vary with volume of brew and ambient temperature. Warmer temperatures and shorter brew times yield a brighter and less extracted brew. Long cold soaks produce rich and smooth brews.
Brew Time Chart:
Quart 32oz - 1/2 Gallon 64oz - 1 Gallon 128oz - 2 Gallon 256oz
SunBrew 4-6 hrs 5-8hrs 6-10hrs 12-sundow
ShadeBrew 5-8hrs 6-10 hrs 12-16hrs 14-18hrs
ColdBrew 6-10 hrs 12-16 hrs 14-18 hrs 16-20hrs
After brewing, discard grounds (great for the compost), and thoroughly rinse filter.